REVIEW: Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System
By Jessica Poland
Growing up, our family weekends were spent hiking and camping. Personal space was an illusive myth as we slept snuggly four-across on self-inflating mattresses in a dome tent. We would emerge stiff & sleepy from our temporary cocoons in the morning to the tick-tick of gas stoves starting up and Dad preparing hot water for our hot chocolates and coffees. Priorities.
Up until this year, my camping trips have always been with someone experienced with operating gas stoves. Frankly the whole idea of using compressed gas with a plethora of warning signs of monoxide explosions, gas stoves had me completely petrified. Would I be that one person to cause the whole campsite to go up in flames?
As the time approached for my big, planned multi-day camping trip, I knew I would have to muster up the courage to purchase my own gas stove and overcome this irrational fear. I decided on the Jetboil MiniMo Gas Stove for a number of reasons.
- The 1L cooking cup is wider and shorter than most cooking systems making it the perfect for rehydrating or cooking individual meals.
- It is SIMPLE. I did not want a gas cooker with lots of little bits and pieces that I could loose or would need to sit down and figure out how to use.
- They are called Jetboil for a reason – the promise of boiled water in 2 min was highly convincing.
- The gas regulator on the stove is very finely tuned so can allow you to cook meals in it. If I want to, I can simmer away on a risotto, or crank it up to boil water in minutes.
The first time I used the Jetboil MiniMo, I pulled out the instructions and my eyes glazed over. I personally found it much easier to just look at the parts and fit them together. All you need to know about setting up the Jetboil MiniMo is twist the cup onto the stove and then the stove onto the gas canister and it is complete. To start using it, press the black ignite button whilst turning the heat adjustment level until you hear the ‘whomph’ sound - just make sure your cup has water or water/food in it before you turn on the heat, otherwise it will start to burn your cup to a crisp. The heat of the flame coupled with the high surface-area burner makes this stove so intense.
I would highly recommend the Jetboil MiniMo to anyone looking for a simple cooking system to feed 1-2 people. It is quick, easy and compact. After one use I felt completely confident and at ease with the whole system. It is perfect for first time gas stove users and the unique cup dimensions (short and stout), set it apart from other cooking systems. The larger surface area ensures everything cooks at a similar rate, without much need to stir. I was eating my meals in under 15min from set up and comfortably eating straight out of the cup – BONUS! Less dishes to wash!
Favourite features of the Jetboil MiniMo:
- Mind-blowingly fast at boiling water (2min!)
- Ridiculously simple to set up and use
- Perfect cooking cup size and shape to cook and eat meals from
- Light and compact - no unnecessary pieces
Compatible Products & Great Additions:
- The Jetboil MiniMo is compatible with any sized Jetboil gas canister (sold separately) but you can literally use it with any other screw-top gas fuel can.
- Easily interchangeable with the larger Jetboil 1.5L Cooking Pot (also sold separately).
- Perfect for rehydrating foods, We stock a great range from Back Country and the Tasmanian brand, Campers Pantry
- Sea to Summit Alpha Light Cutlery Set
- Klean Kanteen Insulated Bottles
If you are looking to purchase a gas stove system and have some questions, send us an email - email@example.com or call our Find Your Feet store in Hobart on 1300 584 023. We are more than happy to help!